FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Julie Young
503-295-1230 (office); 503-310-5910 (cell)
Athletics for the Mind, the 50th Annual State Chess Tournament
When: March 10 and 11, 2017
Where: Oregon Convention Center
After more than two months of regional competitions, over 500 qualifying K-12 students will convene at the Oregon Convention Center for the Chess for Success 50th Annual State Chess Tournament. The State Chess Tournament is an opportunity for students to exercise their brains and compete for both individual and team titles. Games start at 9:00 a.m. Friday March 10 and Saturday March 11.
Chess for Success has been facilitating the tournament since 1998 after being founded by OMSI and the Oregonian in 1967. Chess for Success (CFS) is a Portland based non-profit organization whose mission is to help children succeed in school and in life through learning chess. The organization runs chess clubs in more than 80 schools throughout the state of Oregon serving more than 3,400 kids. To learn more visit their website, www.chessforsuccess.org.
Excellent photo opportunity!
- New Board, May 11, 2016
- New Board, April 15, 2016
- State Tournament, April, 2016
- Chess for Success Announces New Board, February 15, 2016
- The Next Generation of STEM Professionals, October 15, 2015
- Game Changer Announcement 2015, April 28, 2015
- $15,000 Nike Grant, April 7, 2015
- $30,000 Spirit Mountain Grant, April 7, 2015
- Girls Play Chess, April 6, 2015